Roof problems are not always as obvious as water dripping from the ceiling or the appearance of visible holes. Sometimes, the signs are more subtle, and you may end up ignoring them until something catastrophic occurs. Rather than find yourself in a situation where you are desperately calling a roofing contractor in Wyoming, look for these six signs that it’s time for roof services and repair:
- Poor shingle condition: If your roof contains shingles that are missing, cracked or curled, you will likely face problems soon. Shingles fall off or show less-than-optimal condition if they are old or outdated. Roofs exposed to direct sunlight most of the day are more likely to develop cracked shingles. Periodically check the slopes on your roof that receive the most sun. If you see issues with your shingles, it’s likely you need to repair or replace your roof.
- Granules in the gutters: When you clean your gutters this fall, you should only be finding leaves and natural debris, not shingle granules. Even if you do not notice obvious defects in your shingles, granules in the gutters indicate that your roof is getting old and your shingles are deteriorating. Rather than risk a roof leak in the middle of a cold winter, call a contractor to look at your roof instead and make any needed repairs.
- Roof valleys: Roof valleys are spots where shingles may go missing or experience obvious wear. These spots may also sink, a little which shows definite compromise in your roof’s infrastructure. You will likely find valleys where rain and snow flow through to your gutters. If not addressed, valleys eventually lead to leaks in your roof.
- Ceiling stains: If you see stains in your ceiling and have no reasonable explanation for how they got there, be alarmed. These indicate leaks, which almost always start small. Even a small spot needs attention from a roof contractor, so do not expect them to stay the same size. You may also find stains on your walls where moisture escapes. If you allow these to grow into large stains, it’s only a matter of time before you experience a leak or breach in your ceiling.
- Compromised chimney flashing: Your chimney flashing may contain tar or roof cement. Leaks around your chimney are no less alarming than direct ceiling leaks, and you need roofing services to address them. There’s a good chance you need to replace the flashing with a metal system, which will be more durable and water-tight. Consider this work if you need to replace your roof, just so everything is stronger and updated.
- Age of roof: The typical lifespan of a roof is 20 to 25 years. If you have not replaced your roof within this time period, there is a good chance you may need to replace it soon. Consider a roof inspection if this is a concern.
If you’re not sure how long it’s been since your roof was last replaced or you see other signs you need roofing services in Wyoming, it’s likely time to call a roofing contractor. Drury Brothers Roofing Wyoming can bring your roof back to life. Call us today to schedule an estimate.